Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Prices

Sometimes, I can't get over the prices of some products here. Most of all it is the things that are probably imported. Today, I went to buy some makeup foundation and it was so expensive. I normally buy Clinique but can't afford it here! It is outrageous. I ended up going with some Loreal- and even that was over $20! Vitamin E oil was over $10 USD. From this pharmacy, I went to the grocery story and picked up some strawberry syrup for Sienna's milk. Sofia drinks her's with chocolate syrup (luckily we brought over a couple of bottles of it from our last trip to the US). The strawberry syrup cost $7! It is Hershey's. See what I am saying....anything considered "luxury" costs about 3 times as much! Then to top things off, I went to a stationary store to buy some birthday wrapping paper. I figured I would buy two sheets (they sell it in a sheet about 2feet by 2feet) rather than a roll of it. I was trying to save money. There wasn't a sign that said how much the sheets cost. But I figured, it was probably about 50 cents a sheet or something like that. I get to the register and it was $3 a sheet! So, I had to pay $6 for two measly sheets of wrapping paper. It's PAPER for goodness sake.

Lately, the office has either been without water or without power. Mostly, the water is not working. We aren't sure what is going on. We have big barrels of water stored for the days we don't have water so at least we can flush the toilets.

The World Cup will start in 15 days. A lot of excitement is building!!! Italy is the current world champions. I will be rooting for them to win again! The girls love the Bafana Bafana- the South African soccer team. I bought them the soccer jerseys so they can wear to school on Fridays. They are yellow and green and they get so excited when they see someone wearing one.

So to finish up with Froggy. Today, Sienna said that Froggy was taking care of 30 kittens and he was really busy. Yesterday, I was getting on to her and Sofia because when I pick them up for school they never wait for me to walk with them to the truck (bakkie). And they have to cross a road which I have told them and told them not to cross it without me. Sienna looked at me and said- "well Froggy crossed it before by himself and he was squashed flat as a pancake. We had to take him to the hospital to fix him". So there you go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment