Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The days fly by




These were taken in Limpopo a few weeks ago....

The days and weeks fly by in a blink of an eye. I stay so busy that by the time I get everything done in the evenings- unpack backpacks, make dinner, baths, pack lunches, wash dishes, read books to the girls, talk to them about their day, work for an hour or so, it is bedtime and I am too tired to write.

I have been looking for a different place to stay. I think I have found something. Today, I went and looked at a smaller apartment in a complex called Plantations- www.plantations.co.za. It is styled after villages in Tuscany. It is huge and it is a gated community with 24 hour security. I think I would feel much better to have close neighbors and the security at the gates. There are hundreds of houses and apartments in this place. There is an Italian restaurant, a laundry drop off, a preschool and several parks for the kids. The place is MUCH smaller but I need smaller. Since the hubby is reluctant to come over, I have to cut costs as we are trying to manage two households and it is really hard. This is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath duplex (again, image small Italian villa). There is no garden/yard to maintain and the rent is $350 less a month. I LOVE the house I am in right now- mostly the views, the gardens, the fruit trees, the pool but not the MONKEY thieves. But I have to be realistic. I talked to the girls about it today because I want them to be happy. And they seemed fine. This place doesn't allow pets so I will have to find Bella a home. I am not sure if Cookie the hamster is considered a pet but, I can take him to the office if I have to. So, we will see.

The girls have their Christmas play on Thursday (Thanksgiving, which isn't celebrated here). Sofia is the wind. Sienna is the rain. And neither have been interested in practicing for the play. The teacher sent a note home yesterday saying Sofia was being most uncooperative and laughing all the time instead of listening. She was sent off stage twice during practice. Oh my goodness....I talked to her a long time last night. Sienna confessed she was also being naughty. She was sliding down the stage props- Noah's Ark. I took away t.v. for a day, their moosey, froggy and silky. In the end, Sofia said "It is because she lost her goodness and she can't find it". That is her excuse nowadays. Anytime she is bad, it is because she has lost her goodness. That stinker. I told her she had just better find that goodness and start acting right. Today, Janci, their teacher, said they were much better.

They have both been sick. Sofia was sick last week with a sinus infection. She is still on antibiotics. Now, Sienna has it. Let's hope they get better.

Thanksgiving is not celebrated here. But I decided to take off. I had to take off anyway for the girls' play. I had met a couple some time back from the US. They are here working with youth and managing an orphanage. The husband saw me getting out of my Heifer truck and said- "Hey- I have been to the Heifer Ranch in Perryville!". They are originally from Indiana. I gave them my card and thought nothing more. Then, today, I got an email from the wife, Andrea. She invited us to spend Thanksgiving with them. They have 4 kids. I think they have been here only a few months. I think it will be nice to spend the day with them. Now, I have to figure out what to cook and then, more importantly, find the ingredients, which can result in a day of going to a dozen different stores!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving.We went to Carla's for lunch.It was all good.I went over to see Sandra when I left there.I was missing Gary the past couple of days.He was always trying to tell me how to cook.It rained so hard yesterday.I am glad you are getting away from the monkeys finally.They will miss you..I love you and Sienna and Sofia big as the SKY> MOM,NONNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the photos on the cd you made for me .Sharon helped me make albums for facebook.She said she has never seen so many photos in all her life.The past 2 nights that is all we have done.
    Love you all,Mom,Nonna

    ReplyDelete